Pages

Thursday 9 February 2012

Mini Update


As I make my way across London, on the way to work a cold frost sweeps over the land, slowly covering everything in a blanket of ice. The cold seeps into my fingers tips numbing the sensations. A shower of snow is predicted on the weather forecast, they call it the “Big Freeze”.

Last week was my presentation for my placement, how scared was I?! It only had to last ten minutes and the subject of focus was “How does the rule of Law affect access to justice?” In the first year of law you will learn everything about the famous rule of Law, the idea of which was propounded by A.V. Dicey. In a nutshell the rule of Law is the concept that everyone within the society despite their status, creed and race should be bound by the law equally and that everyone should benefit from it equally too. My presentation focused on how cuts to legal will deny access to justice. Anyhow, after a lot of panic attacks and stressing over the presentation finally got done.

This weekend was our Open Day and it was freezing!! Usually, the cold makes me grouchy but surprisingly this Saturday went by without me being grumpy at work J Sometimes I think not many people realise just how much work and effort gets put in to these events. Everyone as usual did a fantastic job; put on genuine smiles despite being out in the cold from probably around 930 till three were all brilliant.
Coming to the topic of uni work I have three coursework’s to be getting on with: Equity, Company and family, oh! And of course the placement essay. How I will manage that is beyond me. The majority of times I feel as dumb as a post. I have delayed my application for a PGCE; I think it would be more sensible if I got some relevant work experience before applying for anything.

On a completely different note I have developed a new found interest in baking and I am seriously looking into taking up an evening course in baking/patisserie. These last few months have been a real eye opener and I know now that all the anxiety over Law is not worth it. There are many people who love it and are continuing with it with either a Masters or going for the LPC or the BVC however for me as I’ve said before that is not the career that I want. Perhaps later on in life I may come back to it but at the moment I know that I enjoy working more with people and mentoring youngsters and to help them on their way.

At uni it may seem as though you are surrounded by a mass of people who know everything and are brilliant at what they study and practically everything else they do and certain about the career they want after but university is a big, big place and you can be rest assured that there are probably more people who are confused as to what they want to do next and why they even chose their subject but that matters not because after your degree the world is your oyster.

No comments:

Post a Comment