Pages

Thursday 28 April 2011

On EU Law :)

As part of the LLB course we are required to write a reflective learning log on what we have learnt, contributed and what we could improve. I have just handed in my EU log and thought to myself why not share it with you. However, this is adapted as I can be as brutally honest as I want to be seeing as am pretty certain they would not approve of sarcastic humour. Hehehe J
Having come to almost the end of the year, reflecting back on my experience on the whole I would say that studying EU Law has been the most successful compared to the rest of the modules. I believe the style of teaching and the course material have played an instrumental part in my so far success in the course. I may not have achieved a first class on the coursework’s but having gained 52% and 64% has shown me that I am capable of understanding and achieving more than I initially thought.
I originally thought that EU Law would be the hardest topic to learn but so far has been relatively straight forward; the most difficult aspect to get my head around was the topics taught in the first semester. Although, there is a clear structure there seems to such a vast amount of information to process which almost seems impossible. Nevertheless, the legislation does make everything clearer once you are able to understand how to use it and navigate your way through the statute book, which does take some time in doing. Moreover, learning to use even the textbook, European Union, A. Kaczorowska, Second Edition, is extremely difficult but then again no one said it would be easy although I think this is a joke! Much of the language used is completely different from the everyday language we are so used to but again after a while you do get used to it. Although the lecture handouts attempt to make things simpler at first instance they do appear to be jargon, it is like deciphering a new language. 
Oopsy, I just realised I left in the “jargon” part let us hope they do not take offence.
The first coursework given to use was difficult, at first it does seem relatively straightforward but once you commence writing you realise like everything else with the law it never is. My main issue was a lack of statutory authority most likely because I genuinely had no idea how to navigate my through the statute book and that there are so many I could use. For those of you who are interested the first coursework was basically a question which asked whether the European Union was becoming a federal state (in a nutshell). Regarding the second piece of coursework I realise that I need to put more detail when discussing cases and to link it to the scenarios, this one was about freedom of movement (I think I repeat myself further down).  
I think that the way the course was structured was much more organised than the rest of the courses, it was clear and straightforward in that there were two pieces of coursework and everything else would be exams. Compared to something like criminal which was three pieces of coursework; torts was three although for some reason they said the second one was optional but still do it in case your mark improves in which case they use the best grade towards your final mark. Land was the most difficult in that the first piece of coursework was worth 5% and then there was a timed coursework in January which involved several questions (did not do so well on that one) and then a final piece due in March which actually was most enjoyable as it enabled you to research material for yourself which is exactly what a career in law entails. Like I said complex stuff.
I also think much of my understanding came from how the seminars were structured, they were simple and easy to understand, also think that had it not been for the seminars I would not have done this well so far.
The topics which I think I have understood the most would be “Freedom of movement” and “Free movement of goods within the European Community”. Freedom of movement was clear-cut in that the law was made easy to understand. The cases also are easy to follow and it is easy to grasp hold of the legal principles. There are not many provisions to remember apart from TFEU, Fundamental Charter of Human Rights, Regulation 2004/38 and Regulation 1612/68, the fact that we are also allowed to bring in the statute book with us allows us to focus more on revising key cases and legal principles than in focusing on what the law says as we can refer to the actual text in the exam. The legislation triggers off the cases needed to back up a certain point. Free movement of goods, on the other hand, is a much harder topic to understand, at first glance it does appear to be a lot to revise however having re-visited my notes and revising for the exams by attempting practise questions it seems simpler than I thought. What I have learnt so far, to help myself prepare for the exams is that what would really help me is if were able to revise just the key provisions such as Art 110(1) and (2)TFEU, Art 34, 35 and 36 TFEU, Regulation 70/50 and the main cases that go hand in hand with them however this is not easy as there are so many parts to this area of the law such as CEE’s, MEQR’s, “distinctly applicable measures”, “indistinctly applicable measures”. From past experiences I know that answering problem questions will help to better my understanding and application of the law so I will be attempting more answers in the following days to come.
Overall, I would have to say that studying EU has surpassed my expectation and even though it is difficult the lecture notes and seminars have helped massively in making me understand what EU Law is about, I think the teaching style from the seminar have played an instrumental role in my understanding what EU Law is and has encouraged me to take up another language so that I may be able to consider a career within the EU. It helps when the lecturer is just a complete star!
It may seem like a lot to process and even though I feel like giving up if I look back at how I’ve done so far considering how hard both academically and personally this year has been I say to myself “Not bad” and if I’ve managed to do this well so far I need only push myself just that tiny bit extra to make it to the end of May.
This is what university is all about. It is not easy; you will want to drop out but perseverance dear child! Like I mentioned above no one said it would be easy and if it is easy then is it really worth doing? Once you complete the year, it gives you such a feeling of achievement that “yes, this was hard and although I am not the best student I did my darnd-est to do the best I can do and that is good enough for me.
Look only to do what you can do, to surpass only yourself. Not much point in trying to compete with the rest because there will always be someone out there who will be better than you at something and likewise you will be better than them in other things. It is a bumpy ride but then life is all about the roller coaster ride and I hope you are enjoying sharing what little of mine I can give you.
But stick with me we are only just coming to the interval.

4 comments:

  1. I love it :) I share the same feelings as you regarding european law and especially about the importance of perseverance ! I'm studying for my final exams (here in France) and it's really hard ! Reading you makes me feel better :) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way I'm reading your blog because I'm coming to study at the University of Greenwich during the next academic session. I'm in my third year completing a degree in public law. Your blog is very helping !

    ReplyDelete
  3. really good help

    ReplyDelete
  4. awww heehee makin me shy now.
    Well anything to help me dears,
    Law is hard but then so are all degrees sighhhh
    but its all worth it

    If you have any questions about the university or student life please feel free to ask

    Much Love
    Naz

    ReplyDelete