Pages

Tuesday 7 June 2011

The Concept of Justice

For our modules next year we able to choose our modules. You get to choose three. I believe I chose Family Law, Evidence and Company Law; Equity is compulsory. I also chose to do Law in the community which is a placement but in order to get this we had to write a covering letter in which we described what justice means to us and send an updated version of our CV’s. The next step is interviews which are pending.
Now see the part where I wrote about what justice means to me had me really stumped. Why? Because I think, in all honesty, it is just an idea, everyone’s view of what justice is different. For one it may mean to give out punishment which is equal to the crime committed but then you can argue in the words of our Gandhi that “An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind” and that if you fight fire with fire all you end up with is ashes (someone I cannot remember who said this) etc.  For others it may mean giving the guilty party a chance to change and be rehabilitated.
Justice is a hard concept to define. I think I know what it should be but is my idea of what justice is and what it means of much importance; I am of the belief that one person’s idea of is not as important as a collective of ideas. Everyone’s idea of justice differs; in order for justice to function efficiently it needs to be a concept which the public can agree upon.  It is merely a concept, an idea of retribution, revenge and rehabilitation. The idea of justice should be great, it should drum fear into those foolish enough to break the law; it should give hope to those have been erred and should instil in the lives of victims a feeling of great pride, satisfaction and admiration for the country and system that they are part of.
But if I had to go along with any sort of view it would be in the words of Lord Phillips:
It is of fundamental importance that justice is not only done but is manifestly and undoubtedly seen to be done
That way it should satisfy everyone, right? Any thoughts?
And finally whilst talking to fellow blogger Remco I told him this: that life is too short so: do what makes you happy, life is too short to be sad.
Much Love
The Poet

No comments:

Post a Comment