Pages

Tuesday 11 October 2011

First Day of Placement

Hi Everyone!
Apologies for the lack of blogs lately. I have attempting to settle into back into uni and my! What a task that is!
In the simplest way: everything is terribly difficult L lots of reading to do, more than usual but hey that is law for you.
Today was my first day at placement; luckily I had a colleague with me so it was not too bad. Errrm to be honest and I can be so brutally honest on here it was not what i expected. What I expected was a really busy law firm with masses of people coming in and out but that was not the case. In fact it was relatively quiet in kind of small-ish place. The morning was ahem dull perhaps because it was the first day and we are new etc etc. We were given extremely brief details as to carry out certain tasks such as filling in forms when there was a caller with a legal query. I have no previous experience in working within the legal environment so perhaps that may explain my lack of confidence although as I have mentioned before I have major confidence issues hehehe.
Anyhoo I was privileged enough to be able to sit in on one of the appointments with a client but of course I cannot divulge the conversation that transgressed between the solicitor and client but it was an eye opener, quite educational and emotional too.
In the afternoon things perked up a bit and I started to enjoy it a bit more. I was placed on the phones and again I am unable to tell you the nature of the calls but most of what I did was to take down personal details and details of their enquiry. The day of course did not run smoothly for one I felt I almost broke the photocopier but I did not I just pressed the wrong moment ahem *bimbo moment* and also completely forgot that I should fill in the same form if another agency were to call on a clients behalf...lesson learnt J
Much of the time when I am at uni and thinking about all these fascinating solicitors and barristers I think of what their journey to law must have been like so today I took the liberty of asking the solicitor if I could be presumptuous enough to ask how she got to her position and as I asked this as I was about to leave she kindly said she would not mind and that topic could be left for next week. I look forward to it and hopefully I can be more proactive and engaging with them though I realise that they are busy with much more important issues.
Aside from placement the more academic side is going swimmingly... NOT... Company law is a puzzle to me still. I seem to be surrounded by a vast majority of people who understand it without even trying. No amount of reading and studying seems to aid me but it is still early days and I guess I look forward to the challenge.
Equity is, surprisingly not as hard to understand as Company Law, it is a vital course as it will affect everyone at some point in their lives. I will go into more detail about this later on as I am still getting used to the language that Equity uses.
And as for Family Law we have only had one lecture so far (the lecturer being absent last week) but it is the topic that most fascinates and intrigues me. Already emotions are flaring and horns are locking of some of the issues brought up. Again I will write another blog on this issue hopefully later this week so as to give you an idea as to why everyone is getting worked up.
Hopefully I have not bored you too much. I know usually I try to leave a little inspiring message but for the life of me I cannot at the moment think of anything perhaps just to stick to it no matter how hard it gets, hard work will pay off eventually.

Ooooh and guess what Kitty is pregnant yet again ahem J

Another Ooooohhh University of Greenwich Open Day this Saturday! So come along if you have any questions and would like to visit the university. Welcome Talks start at 10:00 and all of our campuses will be open.
Look forward to seeing you there J

No comments:

Post a Comment